Posted by: Lisa | 2011-10-30

Second time around

Hi Doc,

I''ve quit smoking in the beginning of 2010 on Zyban and I gain a lot of weight and at first it didn''t bother me because I knew I would put on a few kilos but in February this year I gained 15 kilos in counting and I started to smoke again to get rid of the weight. It just felt as if I had no control over my eating habits and it was a year later. I really thought that it will subside after a while but it didn''t, it was like I replaced food with smoking. I''ve decided to start training and it''s going really well. I''ve decided to stop smoking again but I don''t won''t to use Zyban again it made me very aggressive, do you have any other suggestions? And if I''m going to stop this time what steps can I take to prevent that I substitute food for smoking?

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

There are alternatives to Zyban, such as Champix, and nicotine replacement therapy like Nicorette. Some of the alternatives, like NRT gum/lozenges are associated with reduced appetite. Speak to your doctor about this and about your weight gain concerns. Maybe also post this query to our pharmacist or Cyberdoc.
Many people find it much harder to quit a bad habit when they have nothing to replace it, so try to find a positive substitute to stand in for that cigarette or unhealthy snack. Treat yourself with a magazine, a movie, a stroll, call up a friend instead. Some people find it really helpful to take up an activity that keeps their hands busy - everything from sketching to crocheting!
Most importantly: don't stop trying to quit. Plenty of successful quitters have several attempts before they succeed. And keep up with the training - that in itself will make you less inlcined to smoke.

Posted by: Annie | 2011-11-03

Sorry, i dont have any suggestions for giving up besides will power (which honestly, i could not do)
But i also gave up twice. Both times i used Zyban. And to be honest, i have also gained a huge amount of weight.
I just dont have the time for training with work and then home chores and family etc.
I too substituted smoking with eating and even started drinking more alcohol for some reason, which also doesnt help the weight situation. its like we need to be doing something with our hands and mouth isnt it?
Anyway, just wanted to share that i understand your pain because i am in the same boat.

Reply to Annie