Question
Posted by: Pregnant | 2012/04/19

Second pregnancy baby weight

Hi Diet Doc,

I was wondering if you could help me with my pregnancy weight gain and possible birth weight of my second baby. In my first pregnancy I had a little girl and gained 20kgs. She was born at 3.67kgs, at 39weeks, and has always been quite tall and heavy for her age, she is in the 95% percentile for weight. She is 2 years old now, is 89cm tall and weighs about 13.5kgs. Because I have not been able to loose the 13kgs of weight after my first pregnancy I have been quite careful not to put on too much weight in my second. I am not as ravenous as I was in my first, which helps. I am currently 22weeks pregnant and have gained about 3.5kgs so far. This time I am expecting a boy and think that he should weigh the same as my daughter at birth or perhaps more, if I am able to go to full term. Does the amount of weight gained by the mother correspond to the birth weight of the baby generally? Am I being too prudent about the weight gain during my second pregnancy? I don''t feel hungry and am generally eating healthily. My BMI was 27 before I fell pregnant. Thanks for your advice!

Dear Pregnant
Congratulations on your second pregnancy. According to international experts, pregnant moms who start their pregnancies with a normal weight and BMI can gain between 11,5 kg and up to 16 kg of weight. So you gained about 4 kg more than the maximum recommended amount during your first pregnancy. If your BMI was 27 before this second pregnancy then it is recommended that you gain between 7 kg and 11,5 kg over the 9 months. If you gain the maximum of 11,5 kg over 9 months, this works out to approx. 200 g per week, or 4,4 kg over 22 weeks. You have, therefore, not exceeded the recommended increase this time around and should not be as overweight at the end of your 2nd pregnancy as you were with the first. Although the amount of weight gained by the mother does to a certain extent mirror the weight of the developing baby, there is no way of predicting how much your second baby will weigh based on what your daughter weighed at birth. Birthweight does not only depend on what the Mom gains, but the genetic makeup of the child, how many weeks the pregnancy lasts and the composition of the Mom's diet. Your 2-year-old lassie seems to be quite heavy as she already weighs more than a 3-year-old. Keep an eye on her growth and food intake so that she does not become overweight. If necessary, have her assessed by a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). You can also ask the dietitian to help you with a pre-and postpartum diet.
Holding thumbs that you have a most successful pregnancy

1

Dear Pregnant