Question
Posted by: One important question | 2008/05/30

second opinion on next steps

My husband and I are both 31. We've been trying to concieve for 3 years. His sperm tested abnormally +-9mths ago and he eventually underwent a 'vericocele' operation. 7mths later his sperm has tested excellently but still no conception. I have no pathology to suggest any problems and my origional blood test (+- 2yrs ago) showed that I have ovulated. I used an OTC ovulation test kit this past month and didn't pick up an LH surge, which suggests I didn't ovulate(??). My Dr suggests we wait another 3 to 4 mths and then possibly attempt artificial insemination or investigate further with laproscopy or Berium xray. Please can you advise if you agree with the advice we've been given. I'm possibly thinking I should go onto an ovulation stimulating medication but don't want to get ahead of myself. Any suggestions are wonderfully welcome.

Dear One Important Question
I do understand that you have no symptoms that would suggest any problems but that however does not exclude the presence of any problems. My suggestion is that you should have a diagnostic laparoscopy to assess the anatomy of your genital tract as well as to ensure the fallopian tubes are normal, and patent. If the laparoscopic findings are normal then I would suggest the next step would be ovulation induction combined with artificial insemination.