Question
Posted by: Layla | 2009-04-16

Second dog

Hi CyberVet,

I have a 6-month old boxer, and am thinking of getting another puppy as a companion for him.

Is this a wise move, or will I be saddled with two hooligans?

my first pup is fully trained - the last hurdle we have is getting him to stop jumping on people out of excitement.

Thanks in advance,
Layla

Dear Layla

Personally I think 2 dogs are better than 1. I love whippets and their quiet nature may go well with a lively Boxer.

3
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-04-18

We had a Dobey + a Bullmastiff 2gether when our kids were still young, worked like a charm. Once they were adult dogs the 2x messing, destruction + mischief were a thing of the past + then it became 2x security + 2x the fun 4 the dogs + the kids. If U can handle the work + mischief when they r still puppies then it is well worth your while 2 have 2 dogs.

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: Pat | 2009-04-18

Good idea  they will be company 4 each other when Ur not there.

Reply to Pat
Posted by: Carol | 2009-04-16

There is only one thing better than one boxer and thats another boxer :)

I have two and at age 11 and 10 they wear each other out .

Boxers are such high energy dogs that having two is really your best bet .. and yes you will have two hooligans and as you know they stay hooligans.....

Train both make sure they get plenty of excerise and have fun.

Boxers bitches can be difficult with other bitches not always tho .. so get different sexes and spay and neuter.

Reply to Carol