Question
Posted by: J | 2010/09/07

Sebaceous cyst

Hi doc,

I have a Sebaceous cyst on my upper leg which is causing a bit of concern. As far as I can tell from research, once it has been lanced, it should go away in a few days, but I have had it for more than six months. In this period I have lanced it various times and cleaned it thoroughly in the shower. It consists almost entirely of a clear liquid (not keratinous) that seems identical to the fluid one finds in a friction blister. Some times when I''ve applied pressure to it, there would be fresh blood (bright colour). I usually apply anti-septic cream and a surgical plaster to the area after I''ve cleaned it, but it just keeps refilling in a matter of a few hours. Is this normal and just a matter of having it cut out, or should I go see a dermatologist just to be safe?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi J, thank you for the question and the detailed explanation and description.
Your best approach would be to consult a plastic surgeon who can remove the cyst surgically so that it does not recur.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/09/13

Reply to anti-ageing expert