Question
Posted by: J | 2010/09/07

Sebaceous cyst

Hi doc,

I have a Sebaceous cyst on my upper leg which is causing a bit of concern. As far as I can tell from research, once it has been lanced, it should go away in a few days, but I have had it for more than six months. In this period I have lanced it various times and cleaned it thoroughly in the shower. It consists almost entirely of a clear liquid (not keratinous) that seems identical to the fluid one finds in a friction blister. Some times when I''ve applied pressure to it, there would be fresh blood (bright colour). I usually apply anti-septic cream and a surgical plaster to the area after I''ve cleaned it, but it just keeps refilling in a matter of a few hours. Is this normal and just a matter of having it cut out, or should I go see a dermatologist just to be safe?

Hallo J
the problem with sebaceous cysts are that you have to remove the capsule of the syst, otherwise it just fills up again. A surgeon or GP can remove this under local anaesthetic for you - but the whole thing needs to be removed under sterile conditions.

2
Posted by: J | 2010/09/08

That''s what I get for trusting the internet! I''ll make an appointment with my GP, thank you.

Reply to J
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/07

Hallo J