Posted by: MItch | 2009-04-02

Season foods

Hi Doc. Everyone is prompoting eating seasonal fruit and vegetables, but i don' t have a clue as to which fruit and veg is grown in which season and which has been " specially grown" . Please, I need a list of what is in season when

Dear Mitch
You can figure out which fruits and vegetables are in season by their price! Any fruit that costs the earth has been flown in from overseas (for example, strawberries in the middle of summer!). Vegetables are generally more available right throughout the year, although asparagus only appear in spring. Basically summer fruits include pawpaw, apricots, spanspek, grapes, peaches, and plums. Nowadays pineapple, bananas and apples are available all year round. Winter fruits include all the citrus family, guavas, strawberries and other berries. If you keep an eye open at the green grocer you will notice when fruits come into season. Just at present the first naartjies and guavas have made an appearance as we go into autumn and winter. You can also ask your green grocer to point out which fruits and vegetables are in season. This is a reason why I prefer shopping for my fruit and veg at a green grocer and not at a supermarket.