Posted by: SS | 2008-12-11

scratching posts

how do i choose a scratching post for my cat? some look so fancy but are they practical...I' ve seen some with hammocks!

Dear SS

Choose the one youy like and goes with your furniture. start the cats off with a bit of cat nip on the scratchers.

Posted by: SS | 2008-12-17

Gogga - My cat doe sthat! lol LOVES the base of my bed too and will actually worm her way under the frill, lie on her back and pull her weight round the bed while clawing the material to shreds! :)

Reply to SS
Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-16

Yep, for actual SCRATCHING mine prefer the base of my Sealy bed! It looks awful. they lie on their sides and pull themselves around the bed with their arms...

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Carol | 2008-12-15

Er yes.. Jax we have the same problem

Reply to Carol
Posted by: jax | 2008-12-15

my 4 cats'  favourite scratching post of all the options available to them is a dual-purpose one that used to look good in the lounge. Otherwise known as the couch....

Reply to jax
Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-14

It' s going to stand in your house, so it pays to get one that looks nice to you too. Dark colours better, mine is brown. I just brush off the fluff, or vacuum it. My cats like to sleep on the platforms but they start sagging if it' s a big, fat cat! I' ve seen the one with the hammocks - wonderful! Wish I could afford it!
Mine have a plain scratching post too without platforms, the big one is more for playing and sleeping on than for scratching. It was great fun when they were kittens to watch them running up the ladder or climbing up the legs.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: SS | 2008-12-12

Thanks for this one Chill.... I never even thought about that! :)

Reply to SS
Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-11

May I ask - is it necessary to BUY a scratching post? Cats need to sharpen their claws, and the best way to do this is a tree with bark, or a log. When I still had a cat, I found a nice bit of pine log, cleaned it up, and put it in a corner behind the kitchen door - the cat loved it - in the end, all the bark was scratched off and he still scratched the wood a few times a day.

Watch out if you see your municipality or someone cutting down a tree, and see if you can' t beg a nice sturdy piece of branch - a piece of trunk would be too big and heavy. If it' s pine, make sure you put it on an old car mat or something so the resin doesn' t spoil your floor.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: SS | 2008-12-11

I' m also eye-balling one with a hammock and ladder... And it' s navy blue!!!

The things we do for our feline friends! :)

Reply to SS
Posted by: Natasha | 2008-12-11

Hi again SS
I was lucky with the ones I bought as the boxes etc are covered with a nice dark blue, and very plush covering. I vacuum out the boxes and " shelves"  every 2 weeks to keep the covering nice and fluffy.
I have also had to replace the sisal rope on the poles a few times, as it eventually comes off. Luckily it is easy to wrap and glue new rope on the poles.
I also had lots of fun with my cats by screwing cup hooks into the bottom of the " shelves"  and hanging dangling cts toys off the cup hooks. I change these toys every few weeks, just to keep the cats entertained ......... and myself of course !!!
I saw one at the petshop the other day, with 2 hammocks and a ladder, so guess where my Xmas Bonus will be going :-)

Reply to Natasha
Posted by: SS | 2008-12-11

Thanks for replying Natasha

I was so overwhelmed at the store yesterday. Most if not all I saw at the Vetshop have sturdy bases.

My cat used to love using my lo' s camp cot as a scratching post! lol
I am going to discard of the camp cot and would like to replace it with a proper scratching post.

I also thought the one with many " possibilities"  would be great hit... But what about keeping them clean? The ones I saw also have very plush coverings and are light in colour.. I imagine they will lose their grand appearance after a few rounds with the cat?

Reply to SS
Posted by: Natasha | 2008-12-11

Hello SS
I have 7 cats, and have 5 different scratch posts in my house and cattery.
Personally the ones I find the best are tall ones (with a strudy base), and lots of places to hide. I have one that stands about 1.5 metres tall, with 2 boxes in it at different heights. All my cats love this one the best, as they can climb into the boxes to hide away or sleep. I bought catnip spray, which I spray onto the rope covered poles once a week, and this keeps them very entertained.
There are some very nice scratch poles available. I would just suggest making sure you get one with a large, sturdy base, as the cats can be quite rough when they play and climb up them. Hours of fun !!

Reply to Natasha