Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2010-09-21

Scratching dogs

Hi There
We have recently moved house and since then our x2 dogs have not stopped scratching. We have bathed them, deflead them and it is not getting better. We have thoroughly cleaned the house and as we are not getting bitten so we dont think it is anything inside. There is a large area of sand outside but when checking our dogs when they scratch we find no fleas!! There are also quite a few new plants outside, is there any type of plant that can cause them to scratch if they come into contact with it?

Hi Lynne

It can be very difficult to detemine the aetiology of the scratching. You appear to be dealing with the problem correctly - flea treatment, treating the environment etc. I would however advise that you do not wash the dogs to frequently as this can dry the skin and may educe the efficacy of the flea treatment. I would also change the flea treatment to advocate/stronghold as these products tend to treat more conditions.

It is difficult to specificy what plant could be causing the problem as animals react differently to different plants. If you are very concerned and the problem is unmanagable then I would advise having a skin scrape/hair brush examination/taking a blood sample or doing an intradermal skin testing to determine what the allergens are. Please also discuss the use of antihistamine/cortisone to control the skin irritation with your vet

Have you changed the dogs diet?

2
Posted by: Lynne | 2010-09-23

Hi There
Thanks very much for the response.
No, we havent changed their diet. I have spoken to our local vet who recommended a mild antihistamine-Allergex- for them, as we think it is definately something in the garden(as we have regularly checked them for fleas and have found any) Unfortunately there is a lot of weeds and plants we are unfamiliar with so it will be a process of elimination and may take a while. I however forgot to ask the regularity of the doses as I am currently giving our Border Collie one in the morning and one at night and for our Jack Russel Cross a half. I havent noted any side-effects so I am assuming this is ok?

Reply to Lynne
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-22

Hi Lynne

Have you changed the dogs diet?

Reply to CyberVet