Question
Posted by: Jannie | 2009-09-16

Scratching behinds

I have two Dachsies that I adore. I just find that in the evenings they scratch/drag their behinds on the floor after they have pooped. I don' t think they have fleas. I am aware that it could be the gland that needs to be " drained"  by the vet. It will cost me a fortune to take them to the vet everytime they do this. Is their something I can do to control this behaviour and could it be their food?

Dear Jannie

You can do the anal glands yourself. Ask your vet next time to show you how. Bonemeal will also help to firm the motion and that should help to keep the glands empty.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-16

a) Have they been dewormed lately? Try that first.

b) If the vet drains the glands, the problem is unlikely to recur nearly as often.

Reply to Chill