Question
Posted by: Nina | 2010/09/13

Scratching

My puppy is a happy, lively jack russel. I have two questions. He does not have any fleas but he is always scratching. We feed him a healthy diet with Omega 3 and 6 oils in his food. What can this be, as he is also not playing outside as much so the chances of him eating something that will cause this is almost not there.
I have had a jack russel before. But this one is extremely lively almost hyperactive. Is this possible? If so what can I do except having him live on drugs the rest of his life.

Hi Nina

Your JRT may have an allergy or other skin condition. Take him to the vet for investigation. The vet may do some diagnostics that may enable them to diagnose the problem.

JRT are hypeactive as pups and this appears to be perfectly normal behaviour.

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/15

Hi Nina

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Kate | 2010/09/13

Hi Nina
I have 2 Jacks and my motto is a tired Jack Russell is a good Jack Russell - LOL
I excercise mine regularly by taking them for walks almost everyday - it can be quiet an inconvenience at times but the result are two very happy well adjusted Jacks.
As for the scratching - even 1 flea can cause that reaction.
I used to bath mine but do not do that anymore - only a good rinse if they rolled in something yucky.
I know de-flea my home, thier bedding and frontline them once a month to ensure no outbreak.
Hope this helps

Reply to Kate