Posted by: Kate Ellison | 2011-01-31

I was stung by a scorpion and the pain was excrutiating! After the fact I was told if you pour hot water onto the sting site the protein in the bite coagulates and the pain subsides. Definetly worth a try.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Thank you - good tip, will check it out.

Posted by: Jonathan Leeming | 2011-02-13

Yikes! Something I would not want to try. Rather use ice to reduce inflammation. The venom travels in the lymphatic system not blood stream as most people think. Hot water will not have any influence on the venom at all. You''ll end up with burns and a scorpion sting. Do not do this at all.

Most scorpions will not cause symptoms that need medical treatment. Symptoms for the majority of stings are intense localised pain for 3 minutes to 2 hours, followed by pins and needles. Pain goes away by itself.

Of course we do have soem highly venomous species. I always say, when in doubt go get professional medical advice.

Would NOT recommend hot water. It''s a very bad idea indeed.

Kind regards

Reply to Jonathan Leeming