Question
Posted by: Mike Greenall | 2012/03/19

Scorpion sting treatment

My friend was stung by a scorpion I was advised by a pharmasist to immerse the hand into petrol to draw the poison out of the wound. I did this and the injured person said it helped. Is this an accepted practice especially if outdoors with no access to dotors or ice?

Mike

The scorpion toxin consists of short chain proteins. Immerging the hand in petrol will most probably break the proteins down, hence blocking the action of the toxin. A cold compress can also be applied and opiats and paracetemol can be given for the pain. Amoniac products can also be applied, as this should also break the proteins down.