Posted by: Glynis | 2012-04-03

Scorpion sting

I was stung by a bark scorpion yesterday morning at about 7am on my right lower arm. The burning pins and needles feeling is still there this morning and has now spread to my wrist. I have not treated the sting with anything and taken no pain killers.

Should I be concerned?

I strongly suggest that you consult a doctor for an examination. Most scorpion stings are not serious but can have a severe local effect with swelling and pain in the area of the sting. Secondary infection can occur and this will have to be treated with topical and oral antibiotics. Ice and heat compress can alleviate the pain.

Posted by: Lee | 2012-04-03

I was bitten by a scorpion about 15 years ago. Painful painful painful. I did go to emergency though and they injected something, but my pain spread very fast. I was bitten on the hand and pain spread to under my armpit within minutes. Hand was paralysed and stiff for 2 weeks then healed. Perhaps you should just go and have it looked at ?

Reply to Lee