Question
Posted by: Hennie | 2010/08/18

Scoliosis

I have a 13 year old son that was diagnosed with Scoliosis.

The x-ray report states the following :-

" There is a shallow lower dorsal scoliosis convex to the right. The dorsal kyphotic curve and lumbar lordotic curve are still present.
The alignment and joint spaces in the pelvis are normal" 

Could you please explain to me in ordinary language what this means ? The Orthopedic Surgeon says it will have to be monitored but nothing to worry about. I don''t really feel at ease and don''t know what to tell my kid. He is very active in sport but his back was giving him problems lately.

Please help ! Thank you

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

The defomity of spinal scoliosis can usually be treated conservatively when it is mild ( as it appears to be in you son). There is a good chance that the Orthopedic surgeon is correct in his opinion but if you are not at ease you should see a spinal orthopedic surgeon to examine your son, measure the degrees of curvature as seen on the X-rays and see if the opinions concurs

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/08/24

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum