Question
Posted by: Sciatica vs. SI Dysfunction | 2006/03/07

Q.

Sciatica vs. SI Dysfunction

I have suffered with SI pain for nearly 5 months after an ankle sprain. I have tried 3 different physios.
Latest physio massaged my sciatic nerve leg area (very painful) but the SI pain seemed to have eased a bit.
How do I know whether I have sciatica or SI pain?
My toes also seem to spasm when I do my ankle rehab exercises. How does one fix sciatica?

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear S vs SID

Sciatica is when you get pain radiating in the region of the sciatic nerve. Often (but not always) it is caused by a cushioning disc in the spine pressing on it. The pain is usually from the buttock to the feet. If there is no pain into the leg below the knee it is unlikely to be sciatica.

Sciatica often improves with time and good back hygiene. What do I mean by that?
-Good bending techniques(locked back, bending at the knees)
-Check out your bed. Is it too soft?When did you last change it? Is there a large indentation where you usually sleep?
-You can also sleep with a pillow under your legs at night.

SIJ problems are usually treated with mobilizations and I find Corticosteroid injections quite useful.

God luck
Dr P

Want to comment?