Posted by: Nadene | 2010-01-21

My son is 16 years old currently in grade 11. He has come to me that his friends family are saying school is wasting their time and that they are going to take him out and put him in college. My son has heard the discussions and now wants me to do the same as he feels it will be better for him and his future because it will be better than a matric and he will get skills to get a job in three years after doing N2-N4. Now he is cross with me because I say he must do his matric and enjoy being 16. And then go to college or study after that. How do you determine which is better?

Expert ImageTeen expert

This decision needs to be based on the learning needs of your son, and also your beliefs around the best education you can provide for him.

Some young people struggle with traditional schools and the rules that they constantly hit up against, e.g. uniform, haircut. As a result they do better in a more adult setting. However they need to take more responsibility for their work, and often colleges are very academic with no extra-murals. The work-load can at times be higher than at a school.

If you are seriously considering it, I would recommend you visit a few colleges in your area and compare them to his current school, or other schools around you.

What remains important is that he gets a good quality matric as this is the key to the next stage.

Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010-02-10

College isn' t a bad idea. Especially if your son decides to study electronics or mechanics. There' s a lot of money to be made and the job satisfaction is unbeatable. Just remind him that he is going to be poor for the first half of his adult life if he decides on a technical route, but after that, the sky' s the limit.

Reply to Vrye Denker