Question
Posted by: DOTING GRANNY | 2010/12/03

SCHOOL READY

Our granchild has to start Grade R but is reluctant to speak to the teacher who has to assess her. We took her for an interview about a month ago and has another one scheduled for next week. If she is not assessed she won''t be considered for acceptance to the school.
She has been in an Educare environment since 4 months old but has been at the same school where her mom works. So now she is going to be separated and this is obviously what''s causing the problem. In what manner should we encourage her
to do what is required at the interview and to set her mind at ease about starting a new school. She turned 5 in September.

I'd be worried about a school which is too fussy and inflexible in understanding this sort of far from uncommon problem, and if it doesn't help the parents find a workable solution for it.
Purple knows quite a bit about such matters, and I think she's right that this is not a job interview or anything fancy. Wouldn't the child be atending with a parent or parents, to chat with a teacher ?

2

Posted by: Purple | 2010/12/03

Interviews for grade R are really just a meet and greet session and a chance for them to assess if there are any problem areas so that your child can be placed with a teacher who is best suited to her needs and they can get the mix of children in the class right (loud ones, quite ones and so on).

Usually they have a few toys out and they just assess how your child plays with them and her maturity levels compared to others in her age group.

Most children sit through their interview staring wide eyed at the goings on around them.

Its a chance for the parents to ask questions about the school and the school to see what the parents are like.

There isn''t any way that you can coach your child for the interview, though you can tell her which people will be there (the principal, the grade R head of department, herself, you, your spouse and so on) and tell her y ou''ll all just talk and she must remember to say please and thank you and not interrupt people. That you will be int he room with her at all times (unless they have told you this won''t be the case).

Every child deals with separation at some point (starting school, starting creche and so on), you can just prepare her for it be tellingher what will happen and explaining what her days might be like and what time her mom will fetch her and so on and be reassuring and comforting through the first few weeks while she adjusts.

Reply to Purple