Question
Posted by: ilseo | 2012/02/17

SCHOOL BULLIES

MY 5 YR OLD IS IN GRADE R AND I AM SHOCKED AT HOW THESE LITTLE KIDS ARE ALREADY STARTING TO BULLY ONE ANOTHER. HOW CAN I EQUIP HER TO DEAL WITH BULLIES AND STAND UP TO THEM. IF KIDS RETALIATE WHEN BULLIED THE SCHOOL PUNISHES THE ONE WHO FIGHTS BACK ''CAUSE THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER. I AM ALL FOR TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK (FIGURATIVELY) BUT I DON''T WANT HER TO THINK THAT IT''S OK FOR OTHER PEOPLE TO MISTREAT HER AND SHE ALWAYS HAS TO STAND DOWN. I WANT TO RAISE A STRONG CONFIDENT DAUGHTER. THANK YOU.

Talk to the headmaster, If the school is stupid and wicked enough to punish the victims of mullies, for any reason whatever, then the school should be reported to child welfare. It is the school's absolute legal and moral responsibility to [rptect all children from all bullies. I would tell the headmaster that unless he cleans up hi act, you will move your child to a more competent school, report him to the child welfarfe and education authorities, and goe to the media as well.
Meanwhile discuss with your child how she feels about this, make it clear that it is the bullioes who are in the wrong and who should be punished, and then discuss particulars and details of what they do, and explore with her alternate ways she might respond
And I agree with Maria's response, as well.

4

Posted by: xyz | 2012/02/17

Let her take marshall art classes and donner tha kid.

Reply to xyz
Posted by: Maria | 2012/02/17

You can help her practice to " stand tall"  and look confident while saying " Back off, I won''t give you my toy!"  or " I may wear glasses but at least I''m not a bully like you!" . Whatever is applicable in the situation.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2012/02/17

What form does the bullying take? Generally bullies are also cowards and will back off as soon as someone stands up to them. Check your local library for books on bullying that you can read with your daughter to give her ideas and skills to handle these kids.

My daughter was being verbally bullied, and I told her to try one or more of the following:
- simply turn around and walk away
- if they try to make you do something, just say no
- hang out with friends so the bullies can''t get you alone
- if they touch you, tell a teacher

This worked for her in grade 1, and again now in grade 4. Your child is still very young though and the school should really be dealing with this in a more proactive manner. Do they have a life skills program where they talk to the kids about bullying?

Reply to Maria