Posted by: Michelle | 2009-08-27

All Summer, I was working out and I lost a lot of weights and I actually had defined abs. I don' t want to lose that, but I also have to be in school 8 hours a day. I know it' s healthy to eat every four hours, but I can' t really snack at school between classes because they give you a very short period of time, even at lunch, so I find myself starving by the end of the day, even when I eat breakfast. I only weight about 110 pounds and I know that i' m very skinny, but I don' t want to go back to being 120. What do I do to atleast keep myself healthy during school?

Dear Michelle
You don't mention your age or height, so I can't work out your BMI to assess if you are underweight or not. Are you a leaner or a teacher? It is nonsense that you are not given sufficient time over lunch to at least eat a fruit, a wholewheat sandwich, a yoghurt and have a cup of tea or drink some fruit juice. If you are a teacher then ask the other teachers to help you change this rushed schedule. If you are a learner then ask your parents to lobby the school to allow a decent lunch break. If you are very underweight for your height with a BMI below 18 then you can also use energy bars to snack on between classes. It should not take more than 5 minutes to eat an energy bar! Make sure that you have a big healthy breakfast and an energy-dense supper, e.g. breakfast: fruit or fruit juice, high-energy muesli with full-cream milk/yoghurt, boiled egg or peanut butter and/or jam/marmalade with 2 slices of wholewheat toast, coffee or tea with full cream milk.
I hope this helps

Posted by: Michelle | 2009-08-29

Thank you! (:
I have been eating breakfast and it makes me feel a lot better during the school day.
I am a student, and i' m not very tall at only 5 feet, 4 inches and I am 15 years old. I' ve been told i' m underweight, and I actually used to have an eating disorder, but I have overcome that.
I know school is ridiculous, and it does bother me, but I do try and bring something to munch on otherwise I start to feel really sick and light-headed.
If there' s anything else, please share your thoughts, and once again thank you!

Reply to Michelle