Question
Posted by: Susan | 2012/01/11

Schnauzers &  children

I have 2 miniature schnauzers (male and female). We do not have kids and unfortunately none of the friends or family that do have visited us regulary in the period when the dogs where still very small. They are now both 1 &  1/2 years old. They now do not like kids at all. They bark and get over exited and I think they will bite their ancles if I give them a chance. Obviously this give kids a fright and only makes the situation worse.
I must admit the dogs are very spoilt as they are like my childen.
Is there anything I can do to make them used to kids or is it already too late?

thanks
S

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Susan, nice to hear from you and yes there are things you can do, but will take time and patience to achieve with visits from the kids. What you need to realize is that the dogs are acting out of fear. As there is a possibility of a bite happening or a child becomming fearful of dogs, I strongly suggest that you get in touch with a behaviourist who will show you exactly how to go about this. In between, I believe it would be better for you to keep the dogs away from the kids completely when they come over and supply them with a nice chewy bone to get stuck into when kids are in the house, which will let them see the being away from the kids as a rewarding event, rather than a punishment. Please let me know where you stay and I will put you in touch with somebody in your area that can help. My email is scotty@scottysdog.co.za. Thks and sorry cant do more via the forum, but far too risky with children involved - professional help really is required. thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/01/11

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert