Question
Posted by: lisa | 2011/12/01

schizophrenia in the family

my dad is diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia about 5 years ago. Im 25 now, but before his problem was identified, when i was a teenager, i thought my dad was crazy and our relationship was not good at all. He chased my boyfriends away , he believed that he was being followed by his enemies who used cellphones and car radios to track him down. In matric,he once walked up to my classroom to come and get me. He also put sheets infront of the windows to block the evil radiation and to keep us healthy. That was really hard and my mother who looks after him, is nt taking it well. Is there a schizophrenia support group in the westrand? Are we really nt alone?

Well, paranoid schizophrenia does quite often lead people to behave strangely, and others may indeed think of them as 'crazy". What you describe sounds very like paranoid behaviour. And it is indeed really difficult for spouse and children to cope with such strange and difficult behaviour. I'm not aware of a schizophrenia support group ( though I strongly agree there needs to be one ) - maybe some of our readers may know of one. He needs, absolutely, to be under the care of a psychiatrist, either privately or through the nearest medical school or large state hopital, as medication can help considerably ; and whoever his shrink is, should know about any such facility or service within reach of you.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011/12/02

You''re definitely not alone. Contact the South African Depression and Anxiety group line (the number is at the top of the page) and they will be able to tell you where and when there are support groups in your area.

And if you have any immediate questions or problems, ask for help here. Or if you just need to vent - sometimes it''s a big help to just get things off your chest. This forum has been a lifesaver for me in the past.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza