Question
Posted by: Me | 2008/07/01

Schizo Neighbour

Our neighbour is a certified bi-polar, manic depressive schizophreniac. She is 'unable' to work, and doesn't do anything the whole day, except for drinking. This results in her being unable to take her medication, and we are subjected to episodes which have in the past included her calling the police at 01:00 AM cause she heard someone in her yard (which was a false alarm, as our dogs would've barked), her claiming that my wife & I call her, and then pretend not to(?!?!), her calling the cops cause she claims that other people in our security complex are spying on her. This is but some of the incidents. I have tried calling her parents (which I don't want to do, as they are in their 80's), and her sister, but I presume they don't care at all, coz they don't do anything about the drinking. Her sister has threatened me with an interdict when I threatened to call Weskoppies, (which I did, and apparently the cops will take her to HF Verwoerd for observation if I am prepared to make a case against her, which I'm not) I have closed up a gate between her yard & ours, which seems to have now made it clear to her that we don't want to have anything to do with her (we attempted to be there for her, but a friendship like this is honestly too much hard work. We are trying to get pregnant, and it doesn't help to be called at 02:00AM when she wants to borrow a ladder!) but what do we do when she starts becoming an issue again? I just feel that she is in no way our responsibility (she's 10 years older than us!), but what to do with her when her family clearly doesn't care about her well-being? She is obviously unable to take care of herself & live on her own. Last weekend my dad & I smelt dagga when we were standing outside our home.

If, according to your story, she is s heavy-drinking alcoholic, none of the other treatment for bipolar disorder or schizophrenia would be likely to be successful. You seem to be describing someone who is paranoid, possibly psychotic. <br>It could indeed be useful for the cops, who have the right to do so, would take her to the Pretoria Academic hospital or Weskoppies for observation and assessment, as it sounds as though she needs serious treatment. I'm not certain that there has to be a sworn complaint from someone like you, if a policemant himself observes her to be appreacing unstable and apparently ill. As Micky says, you could also contact the Welfar authorities, too. How did she get all those fancy diagnoses --- isn;'t she under the "care" of some doctor at the hospital, who could be called to inform him/her of her condition ?

6
Posted by: J | 2008/07/18

I think the starting point is to know you are not alone in these kind of situations, and secondly that these situations are incredibly difficult to solve and no, you' re not " missing something"  in it having gone on this long. I' m faced with neighbours from hell myself - I' ve go through civil court procedures with little success and called the police and authorities on countless occasions and still things remain the same.

I think your solution needs to be unorthodox.

Good luck.

Reply to J
Posted by: Me | 2008/07/01

Oh, and the only friends that she has are other Schizophrenics. They sleep during the day, and then come over at night and they are REALLY loud! Then, on a weekend, when I am gardening (or doing anything outside), I get slammed doors from her. When we entertain friends, she claims that she can hear us talking about her. When we laugh, she claims that we're laughing at her. When I tell my dogs to "GET OUT!", she claims that I'm calling "DANEL", and then denying that I did. As if we have time for her childish games?!?! This whole episode is really putting a strain on us.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Me | 2008/07/01

Oh, where to start?! She is claiming that her neighbours above her is terrorising her, that another resident is spying on her... Her parents bought her the house, & a car (which was stolen recently), and they pay all her bills. Her house is a pig sty ( -|- roaches running to our home lately) and she couldn't be bothered to get a domestic. She'd rather use her pension money to buy crap (a new dvd player, etc) which she never uses. She was previously in Weskoppies, but then released (into the "care" of her sister, who couldn't care less about her) I spoke to Matron Mary at Weskoppies (to find out what my rights are), and she said that someone has to accept responsibility for her... I have requested permission from the Body Corporate to extend a wall separating our units, but that's pending. Anyway, why should I spend thousands to be isolated from her? (We are spending A LOT of money currently on fertility treatments to get pregnant - we're a lesbian couple)

Reply to Me
Posted by: anon | 2008/07/01

This must be extremely difficult for you, you seem to have tried all options, and right now you are being harrassed by this woman who clearly need help.

Perhaps getting the social welfare involved, like a Social Worker?? Call the Depression and Anxiety SUpport group, tel no above, perhaps they can help you.

Who pays her bills? If she is not working who does her shopping, does she drive? Does she have a domestic worker?

It seems she is not of sound mind to make choices, like calling a neighbour at 2am is NOT ACCEPTABLE under any conditions, except perhaps emergency....but then there are the emergency service numbers to call.

What does your body corporate say? Perhaps take the matter up with them too.

Has she harrassed anyone else?

Reply to anon
Posted by: Me | 2008/07/01

That's the thing - I don't really know what our rights are!? Thanks for the well-wishing for the pregnancy

Reply to Me
Posted by: micky | 2008/07/01

kan hul nie die welsyn -|- ak nie daar is programe vir mense met haar probleme dalk kan hul haar help. sterkte hoop hul hoef nie te lank te wag vir n baba nie

Reply to micky