Question
Posted by: Rina | 2009/11/23

Schedule 5

Hi Doc, why can I buy Simply slim without perscription from my Dr, but I need one for Ciplatrim

Dear Rina
Simply Slim is an over-the-counter slimming product that is at present not controlled by correct legislation, while Ciplatrim is a pharmaceutical product that has to be registered and has been classified as Schedule 5 which requires a doctor's prescription. However, every now and then the Department of Health wakes up to the dangers of a specific group of over-the-counter meds and then classifies them as Schedule 5. This happened last year when all the prescription-less slimming pills that contain ephedrine only became available with a dr's prescription. Now Simply Slim contains a herbal version of ephedrine so it can also cause the same negative side-effects, but the Medicines Control Council have not yet done anything about this kind of product. They slip through the cracks. Most of these products have been banned in the USA because some users of ephedrine or ephedra or synephrine have died when using these pills. For the sake of my Readers I hope we also get better control of potentially habit-forming and potentially dangerous slimming pills one day in SA.

1

Dear Rina