Question
Posted by: Heidi | 2011/02/01

scary as hell sleep paralysis

Hi. I have been reading up on " sleep paralysis"  i think i suffer from it on occasion, but it''s just so unnaturally scary that it''s hard to believe there''s a scientific answer for it.to me, it''s like something is pushing down on me while i lie there, not being able to move or scream (which is what i want to do!!!)sometimes, i physically am able to feel the weight of somthing pressing down on me, and on one or 2 occasions, i felt the weight of something first sliding on my bed next to my legs, and then onto my legs.is this normal and a symtom of sleep paralysis?being able to feel something heavy pressing down on you?any way, it''s really scary, and i have to fight it untill it lets up.and then sometimes it kind of pulls me back into the state of paralysis.this morning, it happended and i thought i was having an epilieptic fit or something cause my eyes were twitching and it felt like i wasnt in control of my own body.please tell me this is normal?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

When we dream, all the muscles become paralysed - that stops us from acting out our dreams - in other words sleep walking.

In some people this paralysis lasts a bit longer than sleep, and so you wake up, quite literally paralysed. It usually lasts only a few seconds, or until someone touches you - although it feels much longer.

It is a very frightening experience, but not in any way dangerous.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011/02/02

Reply to Sleep expert