Question
Posted by: Chant | 2008/08/27

Scars from Tummy tuck.

I had tummy tuck surgery 10 years ago. Unfortunately the doctor didn’ t warm me about the possible scars. I have a dark circles around my belly which is very embarrassing. I consulted with many doctors and done another surgery to improve it. But there was zero improvement. I heard, about a new laser therapy that can defiantly remove the scar. Is this true? If not, is there any plastic sergeant in Gauteng or any parts of the world can help me with this scar?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Chant, thank you for the question.

Your best option is to see a dermatologist who can examine the scarring and determine the type of scar you have and advise you on the best treatment option. Hypertrophic scars (slightly raised above the surface of the skin) and keloids scars (larger and more raised than hypertrophic scars) can be very difficult to treat. Ablative CO2 lasers such as the Lumenis Ultra FX can treat these scars but my advice would be to couple these treatments with PDT (Omnilux combined Revive and Plus) to enhance the healing and to prevent recurrence.