Question
Posted by: Afraid | 2010/02/03

Scared! URGENT

Hey Doc, I have a serious question for you, and I’ m sure you get this all the time, but I’ m freaking over here. I work for a factory and are one of the trained first aiders, this morning we had an individual who put his arm into a moving conveyer machinery, so this mean the poor man’ s arm was torn open and had a gaping wound, before they came to call me, he put the whole of his arm under cold water, so when I did get to him there were not much blood, so with my gloves on I pressed down on the wound, bandaged it, but as I was bandaging his arm, my exposed arm touched his pinkie, which had little blood mixed with water on it, it was literally just a drop, now I have no broken skin there, but I do have a mosquito bite close to it, do you think I have any reason to be going nuts right now?

Dear Afraid
No, I don't think this is a high risk contact for you. Viruses like HIV are actually very sensitive to chlorinated water, temperature changes and chemicals and unless you got clean blood into an open wound the risk is minimal to none.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: Afraid | 2010/02/04

Thank you very much Doc, I was so freaked I had to go to the Doctor after work, and he said just about the same as you did.

Reply to Afraid
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/03

Dear Afraid
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc