Question
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2011/04/28

Scared to do HIV tests

I am afraid of doing HIV tests because of my past behaviours, i want to take a life cover but obviously HIV tests are a requirement. My girlfriend is about to give birth she went two times for the tests and she tested negative. can I trust that I am also negative.

The test can't harm you, it can only inform you and give you more power to look after yourself better than perhaps you did in the past. The fact that your pregnant girl friend has twice tested negative is really good news, for her and the baby ; it may increase the chances that you are also negative, but it is also posssible that you may be positive. Only testing can give you a usefully sure answer. If you prove negative, yo can by now being very careful try to remain negative, and of course that'd be good news. IF you test positive, and the result is confirmed, there should be counselling available to help you decide how best to deal with this, both to promote your own health, and also to protect your girlfriend and child. Remaining unsure and scared won't help any of you and will leave you more uncomfortable for longer. We can't plan how to properly deal with a situation until we know what it actually is.

4
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2011/04/28

Thanks for the morale boosting responses

Reply to Motlalentwa
Posted by: Romany | 2011/04/28

EVERYBODY is scared to do HIV tests. Whether you have a " past"  or not.
Bottom line is.... you need to know your status and the only way to know is to get tested.
If you prefer not to know you should be decent enough not to have sex with your partner.
If you are positive, it is by no means the end of the world.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Azir | 2011/04/28

Just do it, rather face the needle now and for the worse get treated. If your girlfriend test negative there is a possiblity that you might be negative as well. But rather be safe than sorry, you going to have a child that will needs a father. Good uck!!!!

Reply to Azir