Question
Posted by: Honey | 2010/11/18

Scared of the future!

My boy is now eleven years old, i cannot have a normal conversation with him, he cannot bath or brush his teeth properly, he gets too excited when he is around people, he cannot wright nor read. He is now getting into the puberty stage which is very unusuall to bath a child at that age. I am always scared for him because he is unable to relate events. He sometimes comes home with scratches from school and he cannot say what caused them. He sometimes has tantrums.
I get scared when i think of the future and what would became of him without me or his father. People don''t understand him hence they think he is spoiled or rude.
Just needed to talk to someone who would understand.

Expert ImageAutism Spectrum Expert Forum

Hi Honey
has your son had any intervention of any kind? It is important to try and understand how you son sees his world and experiences people and changes.There are some good resources out there, most importantly, you need to try and focus on teaching him life skills systematically so that he can be more independent as far as daily living skills are concerned. contacing autism south africa might be helpful as i am sure they have some booklets and other materials that can help? do you have a consultant helping you at present?

4
Posted by: Honey | 2011/01/19

Thank you for the response. He is seeing someone and taking concerta and resperdal. We are trying our best to teach him life skills. He is also attending at an intellectually disable school. I think they are also experiencing challenges with him. I would have liked for him to be at an autistic boarding school, where we can take him home on weekends. However there are no such school around. There is only Unica which did not take him as the assessment indicated that he does not necessarily belong there.

Reply to Honey
Posted by: Autism Spectrum Expert Forum | 2010/11/30

Hi Honey

Reply to Autism Spectrum Expert Forum

Hi Honey

Reply to Autism Spectrum Expert Forum

Hi Honey

Reply to Autism Spectrum Expert Forum