Posted by: Anon | 2008-12-14

Scared of internal bleeding

I am 25 years old and 29 weeks pregnant now and scheduled to have a c-section (my second). I have been struggling with high blood pressure right from the start of my pregnancy (also with the first one). My doctor put me on Ecotrin 81mg and Hypotone 250mg 3 times a day

When I was younger, I had problems with nosebleeds - to the extent that I had to go to hospital to stop bleeding. Now that I' m older, I do get them occassionally, and then stick tampons up my nose until the blood has clotted. I had some tests done and my blood doesn' t clot very well either

I' ve also made a few trips to the ENT in the past to cauterise my veins (nose) - this seems to stop the bleeding for sometimes short, sometimes longer periods at a time

On Saturday my nose started bleeding again and when I stuck a tampon in my nostril, the other side started to bleed as well. I then stuck another tampon up that nostril - only for the blood to then come out of my throat!

I went to the labour ward at the hospital for them to check my BP and it was 151/67,l which I suppose isn' t too bad (bearing in mind that I had just had my Hypotone approx 2 hours earlier)

My doctor advised that I immediately stop taking the Ecotrin, obviously as it thins your blood but what worries me is that how will he know that I' ve stopped bleeding after he' s closed up my c-section cut
Is there a risk for internal bleeding?

Thank you for visiting

After a c-section, the surgeon closes the wound in layers. Whilst doing that, every step is checked and double checked for any signs of bleeding. Only when everything is dry, the skin is closed up. Ecotrin will be washed out of your system by the time of your c-section. It is possible that bleeding can occur after the wound has been closed but you will be closely monitored if you mention that you have a problem with blood clotting.

Kind regards