Question
Posted by: stella | 2009/03/06

scared I' m running out of time...

I' m 36, single and want to be a mom. Shall I freeze some eggs now, just in case?

Dear Stella

There are several parameters which one could use to determine the ovarian reserves i.e. the potential for egg production and roughly to ascertain whether menopause is imminent or not. Whilst it is true that fertility potential decline after age 35 I believe that there would be sufficient time over the next 2-3 years to consider natural conception. However should parameters indicate limited ovarian reserves then perhaps freezing of your egg may be an option at this stage.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim