Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2010-03-22

Scared for my heart

Hi Diet Doc

I am a 25y old female, no history of diabetes in my family that I know of, yet I think I may have experienced several hypoclycaemic episodes recently. Is this cause for concern? Or simply normal if I take into account how I''ve treated my body immediately beforehand on all three occassions?
I''ve binged on high-sugary foods then purged, was thirsty yet didn''t drink any water, and fasted for the rest of the day. It was also very VERY hot. Then about 1 hour after purging, I started sweating a LOT, felt VERY weak, had heart palpitations and experienced some trembling and poor eye-sight. This passed as soon as I drank some apple juice.

I rather hope it''s normal hypoclycaemia instead of some weird heart problem related to the purging.
What do you reckon?
I''ve never had this before, and I''ve had bulimic episodes since I''ve been 15.

Kind regards

Lizzy

Dear Lizzy
I am really concerned about the behaviour you describe. You need to get help for your bulimia immediately because if you repeat this purging, fasting, deliberate dehydration, etc you could cause fatal electrolyte imbalances and die. For your own sake PLEASE get some professional help immediately. Bulimia is an Eating Disorder, which needs to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
Go for expert help ASAP before you do yourself irreparable damage.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-22

Dear Lizzy