Question
Posted by: SVS | 2008-11-03

Scared 5 year old??

My 5 year old daughter is having " accidents"  (number 2' s) in her pants now for the past 2 months from time to time. Usually when it happens she is totally devistated - I think it is because we (my husband and I - NOT at the same time but different occasions) gave her a hiding when it happend - thinking that she was naughty. Her explanation was that she played and did not think that she would not get to the toilet in time - and by the time she went it was to late. Now - since it started to become more frequently - and the fact that she is hiding it from us (maybe because of the fact that we gave her hidings) I' m starting to think that there is something more going on than just " accidents" ? I know now that it was wrong of us to give her hidings - but How should we handel this?

Sounds like what we would call Encopresis ( if you want to google that !). And it is usualyl a sign of a child struggling to handle some form of stress she finds overwhelming. Hidings can only make things worse --- and it isn't done deliberately to annoy you. If you hgave me a hiding, I'd hide the accidents from you, too --- what would you expect ? Probably a good idea if you can, to take her to see a child psychologist or child psychiatrist for an assessment and advice on how to plan to reduce and then stop this annoying problem.