Posted by: Jane | 2009-02-05

Scar Tissue

Hi Dr,
Can you please let me know how long does scar tissue grow for?
I had abdominal surgery in 2007 and 2 months later had a full colon blockage due to scar tissue.
It is now over a year since my last surgery. Can I safetly assume that this wont happen again.
Some say scar tissue is like hair and nails, and grows forever, others say it grows for a period of time and then stops??
Your response is much appreciated.

Dear Jane
When skin or organs are cut, the healing process involves forming of new tissue to heal the injury. When this tissue is healed, it forms a scar. Scar tissue is made from fibrous connective tissue which is paler and denser because it has a less of a blood supply than "normal" tissue and it is less movable, and have less sensation. With time it shrinks and can then cause obstruction of the bowel. Some people scar worse than others. It is unlikely that any more scar tissue will form after about 3 months after an operation. I think your chances of getting another blockage is very low.

Posted by: Sharon | 2009-03-30

Could one get inflamation of the scar tissue and cause a lot of abdominal pain?

Reply to Sharon