Question
Posted by: gail | 2010/07/18

scar gel

It was suggested I use ScarScience gel on my baby son''s face which was badly cut, to help with healing and scaring. Was told by plastic surgeon after scars mature (6mnths to 1 yr) nothing much can be done and tissue oils etc don''t really help. Does this gel really help? I don''t see it. And what about Vit E oils etc - surely all the hype in the media can''t all be lies?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Gail, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would ideally like to examine the scars, determine the condition of the skin, and the age of your son.

The topical product Scar Science is a good product with studies that have demonstrated its effectiveness. First one needs to consider sun avoidance and a good SPF during the healing phase (which can take up to a year from the initial trauma). There is nothing stopping you using a combination of the Scar Science and the vitamin E oil topical. Most children heal extremely well after scarring and I would not be too concerned until at least 8 to 12 months have passed.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/07/21

Hi Gail, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert