Posted by: Karen | 2009-06-08

I have a huge scar on my achilles tendon from many operations due to sports injuries. The scar is about 5cm in diameter and oval shaped. I always only wear long pants to cover this up. I have tried bio-oils and other creams and scar reducing plasters, but nothing works. Have you any ideas on how I can get rid of this ugly scar!! PLEASE.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Karen, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my response, but I have just returned from my London clinic.

Scars can be difficult to treat and your best option would be to consult a dermatologist, plastic surgeon or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the scar and advise you on the best treatment options.
Unfortunately topical creams will not make a difference and the treatment choice is dependent on the type of scar and weather it has produced thickening or thinning of the skin.

Furthermore we need to differentiate between hypertrophic scarring (wide and usually lighter in colour) and keloid scarring (raised and may be dark in colour).

General scars with thickening or thinning may respond to energy based treatments such as laser or IPL with Bi-Polar Radiofrequency. Needling has shown good results with scars and variable results may be achieved with light glycolic acid peels and at home alphahydroxy topicals combined with vitamin A. recently the use of LED technology such as the Omnilux has also shown good results with healing scars. In some cases excision of the scar with a plastic surgeon may be necessary.