Posted by: Jasco | 2009-10-19

Scapula pain

Hi there.

I was wondering if you could please help me out. I went to gym the other day and performing shoulder presses at gym, I felt slight discomfort in my right scapula. This usually occurs when I use to heavy weights, but the following day I' m usually fine again. But the following day I went swimming and doing freestyle, it felt as if my scapula got caught somewhere in my shoulder causing quite alot of pain. I rested the whole of Saturday and Sunday, and while it is feeling a bit better today, there is still some discomfort when I shrug my shoulders or move my right arm in a certain way.

Please could you advise on this.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Jasco,

the most common causes of pain in the scapula are:

- referred pain from the neck
- inflammation in the bursa between the scapula and the ribs (scapulo-costal bursa)

If the problem persists you should see a specialist to confirm the diagnosis and suggest the most appropriate treatment. Neither of the above conditions is serious in the way that you need to have it sorted out as soon as possible but if the problem remains that would be the logical next step

Dr Joe de Beer