Posted by: Dené  | 2010-01-29

scaphoid fracture

My 29 yr old daughter has Osteoporosis. She is on Aclasta and Vit D treatment. She fractured the waist of the scaphoid in her left hand. She has only seen a GP in Worcester. I Googled and read that this type of fracture can be difficult to heal because of poor blood supply to the bone. Would you suggest that she' d rather see a specialist (hand) keeping the osteoporosis in mind? Would it help to put a pin into the fracture? i read that one can loose mobility and use of the hand and wrist joint if it doesn' t heal.
Thank you for you speedy response.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Dene
I certainly hope she is seeing a specialist regarding osteoporosis at 29! I would also suggest that she does see an orthopaedic hand surgeon if the fracture does not mend on its own.
You can call the Osteoporosis Foundation on 0219317894 for more info on osteoporosis