Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-25

Scan results-meaning of sentence

I went for a CT scan and on the report from the radiologist there is a sentence that says"  Atrophic appearance of the right lob of the liver. I will only see the specialist on Monday but want to know what this means.

Hallo Anon
The liver has 2 lobes. Atrophy means partial or complete wasting away and it happens due to injury to the blood flow of an organ or due to injury or severe infection/inflammation of an organ like in biliary disease or damage to the liver by alcohol.

Posted by: anxious | 2009-06-25

It' s always best to leave radiology reports for doctors or specialists to decipher because patients can often misunderstand " medical jargon" ! That' s why patients are not supposed to read reports before their doctors have seen them.

I am not suggesting you dont need to worry, just wait for your consult on Mon.

Reply to anxious