Question
Posted by: anxious | 2009-11-18

SCAN

Thanks for the answer. When I go for the ultrasound, wouldn' t this show up any possible obstruction/stone problems or would I have to have an IVP or CT scan if he thinks the problem is something other than incomplete emptying of the bladder?

He seems to now have his own scan equipment, which he didn' t have when I last visited him, which was last year, I think! But the best is he charges 100% Discovery rates!

Hallo Anxious
The U/S usually shows up dilation of the ureters so he may need to do an IVP if he thinks there is a stone somewhere. CT will usually not be necessary
dr Bets

2
Posted by: anxious | 2009-11-18

Im a bit puzzled! When I had my kidney stone problem in 1998 (before my kidney op), I woke up in the middle of the night (Sat) with excruciating pain and saw my gp 2 for pain injections. I then had an IVP that Sun am and was admitted because I had a kidney tube obstruction but they couldn' t find the cause of it, despite having 3 lots of follow-up x-rays. Even the cystoscopy I had on the Mon didnt show anything. It was only when I had the CT scan that they found my stone, because it was out of sight. My point - I don' t have kidney stone pain of any sort, so isnt it unlikely I have this. I realise he has to rule this out, but personally I wouldnt have thoughtk I had a possible stone problem, but then I am not a doctor! Are there lots of possible reasons for that high e.coli count?

Reply to anxious
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-11-18

Hallo Anxious
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc