Posted by: Tango | 2009-04-16

Scalp problems

I have always suffered from a sensitive / itchy scalp. I remember my father even complaining of it - so I guess genetics may play a role.

The last year, and in particular the last 4 - 6 months of this year it has been at its worse. I can no longer colour my hair due to the sensitivity - coupled with hair loss on top. I am under a huge amount of stress due to my work as well - and I have seen a stress link. (I am a Prof. Nurse working in a Hospice environment))

My scalp irritation is in specific patches, it itches, I scratch, it makes little scabs which I scratch off. Coupled with this is the hair loss from the top only and excessive flaking. I have switched to a coal tar shampoo and it does bring some relief - but is very drying and I think this irritates it more. Lately I have put 20 drops of Tea Tree oil in both my shampoo and conditior - which I think soothes it.

I am so worried I may go bald - my hair has always been my crowning glory - thick, lustrous and beautiful. I have also cut it recently very short as I hated seeing the loss in the bath!! I am on HRT and I am 55 yrs old. I am afraid of psoriasis - I actually think I have it. I also know the treatments are not curative. Anything I can do so long to prevent further irritation, any topical product that I do not need a script for?

Kind regards

Dear Tango
I think you should see a dermatologist or at least your GP - you may need to use a topical steroid like Betnovate scalp application and possible fungal infection needs to be excluded. Please ask your doctor to check your thyroid hormones and iron levels, as well as your esterogen levels - a deficiency in all 3 these can cause severe hairloss.