Posted by: Astro | 2009-01-21

scalp issues

I am having irritating scalp trouble, for months my scalp has been itchy and flaky, but the dryness only appears straight after washing my hair, by later that day it is gone. The itchyness is only several patches of my scalp, not the whole head. I have tried several shampoos, the latest Fungitar, which does help. The dryness has now gone, but if I stop the shampoo it comes back.

But, now my hair is becoming very oily. I used to wash it every second day, but now the day after washing it is oily again, (and still itchy). I have seen my Dr, he gave the latest shampoo.
I have recently stopped the pill, could the oilyness be hormone related?
I thought it may be a fungal infection but have used tea tree oil shampoo and have been given fungicidal tablets for thrush, so that would have cleared it.
What would you suggest? Should I go see a dermatologist?

Hi Astro
You may have seborreic dermatitis of the scalp - yes, see a dermatologist as you may need cortisone scalp application. Try washing with Niz shampoo to keep it under control (it is expensive though). You could maybe use Niz and then Selsun or Head and Shoulders every other wash to save money!