Question
Posted by: Gogga | 2008/09/30

scale recommendation

The answer to CJ' s question about weight monitoring helped me too, thanks. I didn' t realise it' s normal to have up to 3 kg in weight fluctuation from day to day, and it has made me very depressed to suddenly gain 2 kg " overnight"  despite all my efforts. I' ll try to weigh once a week only but it' s going to be tough because I' m desperate for results.

My electronic scale is very inaccurate (4 kg lighter than the dietitian' s scale, among other things) and I' m looking to buy a new one. I don' t know if you can give brand names here but I' d appreciate a recommendation on what to buy. I' ve heard there are ones at Sportsman' s Warehouse that can do a fat percentage analysis too, like the Lipotrak gadget the dietitians and biokineticists use. Would it be worth the extra expense to get one like that?

thanks for all your hard work answering our questions. I don' t know where you get the time for it all!

Dear Gogga
I also sometimes don't know how to fit in the time to answer all the questions, but your kind words make my day! I agree that it is a good idea to buy a good scale that gives reliable results (test any scale you buy by weighing yourself about 4 times in succession- if the scale is inaccurate then it will give you four different readings and you will know not to waste your money). However, I don't think that it is necessary to spend a lot of money to have your fat percentage analysed, etc. This will only drive you to despair, esp if the gadget also malfunctions! Stick to your diet and exercise, weigh yourself once a week as I said and track your vital statistics once a week and relax, you will lose that weight. Just keep in mind what the contestants managed to do on the SA Biggest Loser TV show earlier this year - it can be done, but it takes time. Stressing makes you produce cortisol which is a hormone that causes water retention which will make you weigh more!