Posted by: MW | 2011-08-26

Sawdust allergy?

Dear CyberDoc

I wrote to you last time asking advice regarding the itch of my genital area which I thought was so odd taking into account I haven''t had any sexual contact with anyone and never before had such a problem.

I recently came to the following conclusion which I think might be the culprit. I live in a complex and about 30 metres away the garden staff sawed some branches off trees. I noticed recently how my whole home is covered in what is very obviously sawdust. It was recently quite windy here and our domestic worker hung our clothing outside, which obviously got covered in this microscopic mess.

At the moment my genital area (including my foreskin) still itches now and again without any signs of rash. It feels rather stingy at times. The middle folds of my forearms (opposite the elbows) has a reddish bumpy rash as well now, but it also itches in the folds of my legs next to my genital area.

I am convinced this must be a sawdust allergy, and reckon I might have to wash all my clothes again. Could it be sawdust which landed on the clothes causing this uncomfortable situation?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Yes, the sawdust could be the cause. I suggest that you wash all your clothes and see if the symptoms dissappear. You can apply Anthisan cream to alleviate the itching. If the condition however, persist, you will have to consult a dermatologist for an examination and treatment.