Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/26

Saw Palmetto and acne

My son is 17 and has acne problems like most teens. I do not want to put him on reacutane because of the side effects. I have however read on the internet that Saw Palmetto is widely used for acne by stabilising teenage boys hormone levels much like the pill do for teenage girls. Do you have any knowledge of that and is it safe to use.

Dear Anonymous
We usually follow a step wise approach to acne in teens:
Start with a good cleanser, and something like Benzac
If this doesn't help, add a topical antibiotic lotion like Eryderm
If this doesn't help, add an oral antibiotic like Tetracycline for 3 months
If this doesn't help consider taking him to a dermatologist for Roaccutane

Saw palmetto is safe to take and normally does not give side effects - how effective it is for acne, I'm not sure