Posted by: Ingrid | 2010-02-02

sausage dog had fight help

my 2 sausages have fights once in a while.. they just had the worst one ever last week. the 1 had to have stitches and covered in holes. the other 1 has a bruised ear and wot seems like a hardish lump under that ear. there is a little healing wound near the site and the hardness seems to start from this wound. we spent R1200 for the other dog. and didn' t take this 1 as he didn' t seem to be hurt too much. wot is wrong with him? he doesn' t seem to be in any pain. he is his normal self. the lump is the size of a bottle lid and another much bigger 1 below kinda feels like congealed this serious?

Dear Ingrid

Impossible to know without looking at the lumps.

Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-02-08

Dear Ingrid

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-02

There is probably some sort of fluid build-up - if you' re lucky, it' s not an infection, but it may be.

What I would do, provided the dog remains fine and happy, is to apply a hot compress to the area several times a day - take an old face cloth or bit of towelling or even an old t-shirt, wring it out in pretty warm water - NOT boiling hot! - and hold it firmly over the area. If there' s a puncture wound then the scab will probably soak off and allow the fluid to drain. Get some Betadine liquid, and scrub the area as firmly as the dog will allow, using the betadine neat on a bit of cotton wool. Do this a few times a day too.

If all of this doesn' t help in a few days, then best you get it seen by the vet.

Also, I repeat: if the dog look listless, or the wound is unduly painful, then don' t mess around and go to the vet straight away.

And do a bit of reading up on canine aggression. You may need to take steps to stop them fighting, before something more serious happens.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: carrie | 2010-02-02

you probably need someone to have a look at it. have the dogs been neutered? that may help with the fighting. perhaps take the 2nd one to the SPCA just for a quick check over if you cant afford the vets after the last bill you just had.

Reply to carrie