Posted by: Dee | 2009-02-02

Sauces in weight loss

Hi Doc,

I know that when you are trying to loose weight you need to avoid sauces because it has hidden carbs.

But, at dinner time, what sauces can I use? Can you give me examples please?

Can I use, for example, soya sauce in my meat dishes?

Dear Dee
I hope that if you are trying to lose weight you are keeping an eye on your fat intake, rather than your carb intake. Sauces that are rich in fat like mayonnaise, salad dressing and gravy made from roasting pan drippings are a no-no if you want to lose weight, but soya sauce, lemon juice, and lite salad dressings can be used. Even tomato sauce only contains 59 kJ per tablespoon and a tiny trace of fat, so if used in moderation it will not hamper weightloss.