Question
Posted by: Joanne | 2010-11-26

Saroten A/D available locally under a different name?

Dr, I have no medical aid and have been severely depressed the past couples of months again. I cannot afford to go and see a psychiatrist. Over in Austraia where I was working and I was doing really well on an A/D called SAROTEN as none of the others on the market were helping me. (Y-e-a-r-s ago, I was also on Saroten locally I recall.)
But the problem is that my GP has no knowledge of Saroten and he prescribed first Prozac and then a few weeks later Celexa for me but they make me more ill than helping me.
Could you tell me if perhaps Saroten is still available on the market locally only that it is now marketed under a different label? I think it is my GP''s first year in practice since graduating and think he might not know all that much yet about the depression drugs....
Thank you for any input

It does indeed get confusing when drugs have diferent names in different countries. Fortunately, Saroten appears to be Amitriptylne, a long-established drug available just about everywhere and in generic ( equivalent but cheaper ) versions and in various names - I'm sure your GP will know it under its chemical name ( Amtirtiptylene ) and it should also be available from most state clinics and hospitals.

1