Question
Posted by: Linda | 2010-01-13

Sandworm in foot

My daughter has a sandwurm in her foot. The ointment the doctor prescibed has been discontinued and there is aparrently nothing on the market. How do I get rid of it??? I have a picture. I tried cutex, vasaline, rapping the foot in a plastic bag etc

Expert ImagePharmacist

Linda,

This is indeed very difficult to treat and most experts suggesting just waiting it out.

Some success have been noted with Albendazole (ZENTEL) which is a prescription-only antihelmintic product.

Otherwise you can see a dermatologist for his opinion. Some suggest a cream mixture containing crushed antihelmintic tablets.

All the best.

14

I had many on my back as a 13 year old! The dr back then gave some type of liquid and hospitalized me I had so many ! The liquid meds whatever it was killed all but two which he then froze with some type of medication! They were very painful and my dad and mom had to use paper tissue to lightly rub over my back until I was hospitalized and diagnosed! Dr stated the liquid med was to kill worms not the boy but I did have acreaction! Then he froze the last two in his office! That's all I ever knew to do for sandworms! They are extremely painful!

I had a sandworm bury into the fleshy part of my thigh (from sitting on the beach). While waiting for a dermatologist appointment I started applying neat Tea Tree Oil. By the time I had the biopsy the worm had died and so had the eggs. The dermatologist told me I shouldn't have used it neat but it worked.

Posted by: TANAAZ M CHIKOWI (TAZZCHIKOWI@GMAIL.COM) | 2014-03-27

ITS EASY TO TREAT JUST MAKE A PREPARATION OF 10 ALBENDAZOLE 200MG TABLETS IN (UP TO 5G VASELINE) ..****CRUSH THE TABLETS IN A MORTAR AND PESTLES AND ADD VASELINE(3G)GRADUAL UNTIL A PASTE IS FORMED. APPLY A VISIBLE LAYER ON THE SKIN 3 TIMES DAILY. **** DO NOT RUB IN****REPEAT 3-5 DAYS .

Reply to TANAAZ M CHIKOWI (TAZZCHIKOWI@GMAIL.COM)

The Zentel tablets must be taken for 3 consecutive days. I was also prescribed a lotion (a mixture of Zentel 1 + Vermix 1 = Anethai 25). This will solve your problem!

Posted by: Cobus | 2010-03-04

Is there any side affects of the Zentel like diarrhea or something else?

Reply to Cobus
Posted by: Mel | 2010-02-22

Does anyone have a picture of a snadworm bite - my sone has a bite on the back of his ankle which I think may be a sandworm bite... t''s to spots which had little raised blisters on it now it''s rough and red?

Reply to Mel
Posted by: Anne Logan | 2010-02-22

How do I treat the sand in our Pre-Primary sandpit at our school, so as to kill/prevent sandworm in the sand?

Reply to Anne Logan | 1 comment (hide)

Salt, mix course salt into the sand, kills everything.

Posted by: Kirsty | 2010-02-17

My Husband has two sandworms, one in his hand and the other on the knee. Besides finding a suitable treatment for him, I would like to know if the area where he got it from (our back yard) can be treated and how as I have a 1 year old little girl and would hate for her to get a sandworm. We have dogs and from what I have read this is sorce of the problem, so they are currently being dewormed. Will this are of sand and grass stay contaminated by the sandworm lavae or will they just die off if there are no hosts.
I was really hoping there was a natural way of treating my husband, so tried the cutex on the area only to find in the morning the little bugger had moved location. Are there any other suggestions to treat sandworm without strong medications. Thank you for your help.

Reply to Kirsty | 1 comment (hide)

Hey Kristy, there is a meethod that my Family and i have been using ist actually a little gross but its works 100%. You actually have to use your own urin. just urin on the spots where you have it and in 1-2 days the Sandworm will be dead. i know it sounds really discusting but it workes.

Posted by: MM | 2010-02-12

My son had a sandworm about three months ago - Zentel works and quickly to!

Reply to MM
Posted by: Donna Dawson | 2010-01-31

My husband has had a sandworm twice, once in his foot two years ago and again this December in his arm. The first time was quite an adventure in trying to kill the worm, his foot was " frozen"  twice - CO2 - then spraying doom on it regularly and wrapping in plastic with a mixture of anthisan and vermox - nothing worked - all done under doctors supervision. Then he was given 6 Zentel tablets, two per day for 3 days - worm gone. The second time he was prescribed 2 Zentel tablets and vermox in anthisan with glad wrap again, unfortunately this did not do the job and again after 5 days took 6 Zentel tablets 2 per day for three days and applied Zentel crushed in anthisan wrapped with glad wrap - did the trick. Have spoken to many people and this is definately the only working solution to a sand worm.

Reply to Donna Dawson
Posted by: Martin | 2010-01-29

Don' t know if this is just old " boere raad"  just putting on some clear nail polish over the area?

Reply to Martin
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010-01-14

Linda,

All the best.

Reply to pharmacist