Question
Posted by: low bp | 2009-11-20

salty foods

Hi Dietdoc.. Thanks so much in advance!

I' m 25 and tend to have low to normal blood pressure. It ranges from about 85/65 to 110/70. I know there' s a lot of talk about low salt diet being healthy for you (I' m not trying to lose weight, just eat a healthy balanced diet). With that sort of blood pressure, do i really need to worry about this? Or are there other reasons to reduce salt intake? I' m not excessive with salt, but do prefer savoury to sweet!

thanks!

Dear Low BP
If you generally have a low to normal blood pressure then it is not necessary to cut down your salt intake to very low levels (e.g. 500 mg per day). However, the fact that your bp varies so greatly needs to be investigated because this could be a sign of an underlying problem. Please discuss this with your gp. Basically it is a good idea to keep one's salt or sodium intake as low as possible by not adding excessive quantities during cooking or at table. Excessive sodium intakes are associated with increased bp and can lead to kidney damage. Moderation is the key.

2
Posted by: jo | 2009-11-22

doc
should salt be avoided or can salt be moderately be used in food.?
which one is the best in a diet and or just firming up?

thanks

jo

Reply to jo
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-22

Dear Low BP